torsdag 2 oktober 2008

Happy thoughts, Mahatma Gandhi, dancing with sticks, and partying with Swedish girls.


For the past couple of days I wanted to write a post that was all positive about Bombay, to be fair, and to balance things up a bit. I still stand by what I wrote in my last post though. I do feel at home here again... and I'm liking it here ....things are far from perfect, but still.

These are some of the things that I love with this place;
How exotic many things really are,
The clothing style, especially for the women - so beautiful and creative.
Some of the architecture, especially some random buildings here and there (even if many of the are a little run-down).
The people I work with in various ways ..at the office, in the slums, and at the TATA institute (and many more).
The good hearted and hospitable strangers that takes care and welcomes you with open arms. There are many of them. Far from all people are jerks, husslers, or prejudice.
How cheap things are.
How important the people here thinks that the family is.
Some of the food is really good.
Leopold Café and Woodside Inn restaurant.
The street markets and the exotic and alive streets in general off the touristy areas.
All the new impressions and experiences that I get almost every single day.

Some of the most interesting time here have been when working with some of the people in the slums.

Well anyway, today is a holiday since it's Mahatma Gandhis birthday. It's nice with a day off to recover and catch up on various things ...including sleep.

Yesterday was one of the greatest nights so far here in Bombay. At night I went to this festivity around the corner from my hotel. They were celebrating one of their many Hindu gods. Don't remember the name of this one though, and don't remember the story behind it ether. They are usually complicated.
I went by yesterday and I was invited back the following night for the dancing part. At first I went by myself, and soon after I came, after their ceremonies, they invited me in. I got some Curd pored in my hand (like filmjölk for my Swedish readers), that I had to lick and then whipe off at the back of my head. Then they put me on a plastic garden chair and I was surrounded by a bunch of happy and excited Indians. One father took his little son and put him on my lap and took photos of us with his mobile phone camera. Then he took his son's head and made him kiss me on the cheek. The poor little boy looked a little frightened. There were others that were taking photos of me too.

When the crowd disapeared I started to talk to a man that sat next to me. He told me that they were so excited because I was the first white Westerner, ever, to join in and be with them during the celebration. Wow... I felt special.
Afterwards I joined in with the dancing outside. A dance done with sticks. I brought a couple of painted wooden sticks that I bought earler during the day from an old lady in one of the slums. People are dancing in two rows, facing each other, and while they dance, they hit each others sticks. Like a mix between dancing and fencing. Hundreds of Indians .. around me, and up on the balconies were looking at me dancing with the others. I could hear a lot of laughter and cheers. I didn't get in to the rythm at first, and I probably looked like a fool, ..but hey, it was way fun.

I went back to the hotel where Sebastian was, and two other Swedes that were in Bombay for a few days, "Lasse" and "Kalle". "Lasse" is a little brother to Sebastian's best friend from home, and he and his friend are travelling India for three months. I told them about my experience and convinced them to check it out. When we all came there were even more cheers. We danced ... and we danced .. and I sweat a whole lot. But maaaaan was that fun. We joined in various dances. I had the time of my life. The music was very rythmic with lots of heavy drums, and they were played loud on the speakers. The people were way excited and cheering and were really in to the whole thing. They loved having us there and made us dance with them all the time.
I eventually got rid of some of my hippo dance moves and became more "smooth". When it was time to leave 30-40 people, mostly kids and young people, run up to me and wanted to shake my hands, cheering. What a crowd! Once again I felt like Jay Leno, or some type of celebrity. We were invited back tonight.... I think I might go. This was an excellent and way fun way to burn fat. ...I have lost atleast 5 kilos so far btw since I got here.

Then we took a taxi down to Colaba, and hung out there with some female Swedish Social Work students that the guys had met the night before. They are studying in Poona, and where up in Bombay for a few days. We had a good time with them. We went to the luxurious hotel Taj Mahal and hang out at the bar/dance place there for a little while. I had a couple of Cokes there (for the readers that may not know it..I don't drink alcohol). I spoke to business men from USA, Singapore and Dubai there ... I danced to some cool beats (not with the businessmen), and got to know some of the Swedish girls better. Going to the bathroom there was an experience. Some worker there turned on the water for me when I was going to wash my hands, then he pored soap on my hands, and afterwards he handed me some nice thick paper towels.

Then we went and spent the rest of the night at "Polly Esther", some fancy place where many of the more well set Indians go to party. .. still sticking to Coke, and away from the alcohol. It was way fun... I truly enjoyed dancing on the disco dance floor. Good music, and there were many really beautyful Indian women there. Hey, I'm single now, so I might as well enjoy.

It was a sad back-to-reallity feeling afterwards when we all went out after closing time, and I saw all the families sleeping on the streets, under blankets or newspapers - mothers, fathers, children, and babies next to each other. Such a contrast. This was the not so fun part of the night.

But I have to say... that I in the mood of liking life here... and I will make alot of it before I have to leave.

Mei thi koo!

Inga kommentarer: