måndag 29 september 2008

Bombay is a dump


Okay, a few days ago I finally started to feel home here in Bombay, and things felt good and I enjoyed life here. Then, this last Sunday it all changed and I got sick and tired of this dump. So now I'm gonna tell why... but end this post with some positive things. (It's not like I'm consumed with bitterness).

On the way back from Church, in Vashi, it started with a bird drop a bomb on my brand new tailor made pants. Then I had to wait for over two hours for the stupid train to come, not sure if it was delaied or if they just don't go as often on Sundays ... and no taxis in sight, only rickshaws (rickshaws are banned in the southern parts of Bombay, so I couldn't take one home).

When the train finally came, it suddently changed to a different platform on the other side of the train station, so I had to hurry over there. Then the train was completely packed with people, and there I stood, crammed and sweatty and barely able to move.
When the train was about to arrive to Govandi, two stops away, it felt like a hand was searching in my left side pocket, but I couldn't do anything, because I was holding on with my left arm and couldn't take it down becausee it was so darn packed. I was holding my bags with right arm, plus I was protecting the camera and the mobile phone that were in the right pocket, so my right hand wasn't avaiable. Then suddenty the train stopped and a hord of people pushed out. I could feel that my wallet was gone and run out, but to no use since I wouldn't be able to know where the thieves went among all this myriad of people. I felt violated, and so powerless ..and a hatred towards the Bombay public transportation and traffic system.

I jumped on the next train, and ironically, soon a salesperson jumped on the train trying to sell wallets to th passangers ...twice.

Why do I constantly have to travel with these insanelly packed trains, where I from now on will feel unsafe because of the vunerable situation that I will be in with limited mobility, and being selected out as a easy target because I am Westerner (and who probably has a lot of money, in the thieves mind). I already hated the claustrophobic feeling that are in most trains.
Buses are generally crowded too, and often stuck in traffic jams when they really are needed.
That partains to general traffic here too... cars everywhere.. traffic jams ... constant honking... improvised traffic rules. Crazy and egotistical motorcyclists... and at night many taxis drive without any headlights.. causing a great danger, especially if they drive behind a car that has headlights, when you need to cross the street and think that you're safe.
The pollution and the terrible air from the traffic... yeah, the list goes on.

I miss peace and serenity, and I'm sick and tired of all these huge crowds of people everywhere. I'm sick and tired of people caughing straight out, or sneezing in their hands .... spreading germs and bacteria all thr time. I'm sick and tired of all the garbage everywhere.. and how some people just throw it on the street or right out of their windows.

I think I'll stop here... and I even skip the other bad things that happened last Sunday.

... on the positive side of things... I still don't regret coming here, even if there's no way in hell that I'll settle down here. I have met some really, really great people here... and there are aspects to my internship that I really love and enjoy, and that has given me great learning experiences. I still want to get out the most of my experience here. I try to learn Hindi phrases, wear Indian clothing, buy various Indian movies (including Bollywood), eat Indian food, befriend people here, learn about the culture, and eventually travel around a little.

Inga kommentarer: