torsdag 27 november 2008

Terror attacks here in Bombay... 80 dead so far.

Late last night I was informed by Sebastian that there had been some shootings outside Leopold's down in Colaba, and that 11 people had been injured. He found that out from a friend and wanted to make sure that I was okay. A co-worker also called to make sure that we were okay, and that we should stay inside. I was in a strange mood and didn't know how to react. It felt weird and unreal. I continued to read "Shantaram" and came to the part where the main character's friends had been shot to death (by the police because he was a terror suspect), and how the main character went to Leopold's after finding out about it. It felt bizarre to read it.

Then I got a text message from Sebastian telling that it was a terror attack on the Taj Mahal hotel, the CST station and some other place, and that 80 people had died and 250 people were injured. I had fallen asleep by then but woke up by the text message. I decided to call my parents to make sure that they knew that I was okay. They were happy to hear that I was okay and gave me some more news from TV. Then I called my brother to see if he knew more about it, but he hadn't heard anything about it at all. I called my good friend Tommy and his wife checked out the news on internet while he talking to me, and then he read it out loud to me.
The terrorists had targeted foreigners, and Americans and Brits in particular. One of the areas attacked was really close to where we work, and we pass the areas every day. The same with the CST Station, we pass it every day on our way to and from Work. ..and we have taken the train from there numerous times.

I was far from danger and I am safe. I have only heard more sirens than normally, and other than that I haven't noticed anything. I live a 5 minute taxi ride from the CST station, and 15 minutes from the Colaba area. But it feels so strange and unreal... I have had these thoughts of a terror attack happening while I was here ... even earlier the same day. But that was probably because this city has a history of terror attacks, and that's why it was in the back of my head.

They say that the Indian army has been sent in because it was still unsafe. I am not sure if I should go to work in the morning or not. A big part of me is drawn to the area, and I want to see what's going on, and if there's anything I can do. One part of me wants to stay safe since being a Westerner on the streets right now is not the ideal situation.

I am sitting here in Sebastian's room borrowing his computer and extremely slow internet.


I still can't believe it...

I'll update my blog about any news... when possible.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

This is so very sad my sympathies to India.