söndag 24 augusti 2008

Hmmm... even Sundays are interesting .. especially if it's during a festival.


I went to Church today. It took about an hour or so to get there by taxi. It was located far away from where I live. The traffic was insane due to some festival that they have today. The taxi driver even waited for me when I was at Church and drove me back ... and by then the traffic had become even more insane. I thought that I was going nuts. As part of the festival kids through small plastic bags with water, or water bottles, at cars passing by. My taxi got hit by a water bottle a couple of times.
A more significant part of this festival is when youth of various ages make big human pyramids, where the person on top tries to grab something hanging down between to buildings. Those pyramids can be quiet high, and every year there are maybe a couple of hundred people that fall down and break a few bones. I saw this little kid walk down the street that had casts and had hurt both his arms, plus his head.

The taxi driver's car broke down just a two-minute walk from the YMCA where I stay at. Quiet ironic, after driving all that way. I guess I was lucky that it didn't happen earlier. I feel sorry for the taxi driver though. He was way cool.

I went out for a walk by myself after changing clothes. I have to say.. walking by myself was a different experience from walking with an other white dude. Even more people stared at me, said things to me, and approached me. At one street corner, when I was about to look at some of the festivities, three Indian guys came and stood next to me. One of them turned out to be a pimp. He told me "Women, women, beautiful women!" and pointed to a building. I told him that I wasn't interested, but he kept trying. He even came after me when I walked away. "...you may like them or you may not like them. Have a look..." (or something similar to that). He even handed me a business card. But I gave it back. He asked me why I wasn't interested, and I didn't feel like I had to explain all the million reasons why. ...something that should be so obvious. I just told him that I have a girlfriend. That seemed to help and he left me alone. Having a lengthy discussion with him wouldn't have help.

Inga kommentarer: