fredag 12 september 2008

Malaria Guest House.. and other unclean things

We had enough of this new place. On Monday we're moving out to a new place. It's cheaper, bigger, and cleaner. Unfortunately, it's a lot further away from where we work. But we'll manage.

Sebastian has been way sick. He has been to the doctor, and the symptoms are the same as with malaria. ... yup. Dead serious. He did not look well at all. Would not surprise me if it was the unsanitary Malaria (Apollo) Guest House that caused it with their ladybug sized bed bugs (filled with blood) ..or some other type of insect. The humidity and other things there probably attracts various types of strange life forms. Sebastian is doing somewhat better at the moment. Let's hope that it continues to get better.
Anyway, I won't miss my humid room or the greasy walls and doors in the bathroom.

A couple of days ago I went along two other Social Work students and visited a young girl at a government owned hospital. She had Tuberculosis, and had such a sad life story. The hospital looked like it was from the beginning of the last century, ...and there were cats walking around there.

Yesterday I went along to an institution where they take care of used children. It can be child labourers, beggars, or in other ways used children. They keep them there for a couple of months and try to straighten out their lives. This day they had a bunch of child labourers that probably the police had caught in some raid. There were lots of them, and their employers were there trying to excuse themselves and how they in fact were "helping" them. (..all so that they could get away with having cheap labour). It was nice to see the middle aged lade put them in to place. "How are you helping them by pulling them out of school? How will he support his family? Their kids are also going to end up as child labourers." ..and so on. I liked her. She was way cool.
The employers had brought the kid's parents, many of them from rural areas, and having them talk to the people of the institution so that they can send the kids "home". What happens is that for a little sum of money from the employers ... their back to business as usual. What the institution tries to do during those two months is to talk to kids and their parents, and that way been able to lower the amount of kids going back to child labour.
Before I left I saw this group of maybe 20 boys around the age of 8-10. ..also child labourers of some sort. I said "hi" to them, but I got absolutely no response. They all just stood their in complete silence ...looking at me. ..this tall white boy with a strange hair style.

Today a pedophile came to the office where I work. He was involved in some type of shelter for kids in the area and looked for information about some girl. He used to be in prison here, but was let out earlier along with his friend for some strange reason. He's European, so I started to talk to him when he sat down by me, not knowing until afterwards who he really was. I heard about him from some European girls that lived at the same guest home as him. Photos of them have been sent out to various institutions and organisations so he was recognized. He didn't get any help btw. I was also advised to stay away from him. No problem with that. I don't want to associate with him now when I know who he is.

My stomach has been all messed up lately, again, along with other things. *sigh*

2 kommentarer:

Andrea, Mrs. sa...

Wow - how are you handling all these stresses and these sad events?

Anonym sa...

Poor Sebastian! Dang bed bugs! Let's nuke bugs with bug sprays. :D

I recently got bit by mosquitos again. I am not a fan of the humid climate here. This sounds so familiar to me when I started living in Mexico. I had sinus infection. I was so sick for two weeks and even vomited- horrible

I am glad you and him are moving out to a new place. Your health and his health should be a first priority no matter what.

It is not easy seeing children doing labors when they should be educated at the schools.


I have to admit that I have a weird feeling about that Pedophile you talked about. He sounds dangerous. I think it is recommended that you tell children to stay away from that creep. Yuck.