torsdag 4 december 2008

Ambivalence


Sebastian went home today. Our university allowed to go home earlier if we wanted to and still get our credits. I support his decision and understand why. Things just aren't the same after the terror attack. I have lost a lot of my energy and motivation to be here. It has been really draining. It does not mean that I can't have fun or enjoy the rest of my time here though. Because I am staying here until the 21st, as planned. I am looking forward to going home ...but I'm just not ready yet. It would have been to abrupt for me ...and I still have things I need to finish up here.

Went to a peace march held here last night, held by the Gateway of India, and close to the Taj Mahal Hotel. There were about 20'000 people there, and very crowded. The atmosphere was sometimes very heated, and sometimes very peaceful. The various crowds with people of various opinions were mingled together. I could come in to a crowd where people were shouting anti Pakistani slogans or "We want war! We want war! We want war!" The next crowd could emphasize the unification of the various religions in India, and had Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, and Christians, walk side by side for the same cause.
At other places people were putting candles in the ground.

Common for many of the people was that they wanted a change, and that they were disappointed and angry at their government. I'm really not impressed by the Indian politicians in general myself.

I was interviewed by TV again. This time by Times Now. It was actually by accident. Some woman came to me and said "Do you want to see something on TV?" and looked very concerned. I thought it was something important that had to do with me being a westerner or something, so I said yes. But it turned out that she said "Do you want to SAY something on TV?" My co-worker told me today that she saw me on TV again. The interview... plus one part where Sebastian and I were walking towards the protest. We stood out as two tall white boys amongst a crowd of shorter Indians.

I walked around with a white t-shirt that said "Mumbai meri jaan" (I love Bombay in Hindi), to show my support. That caught a lot of attention since I was a white westerner wearing it, and I had a dozen of people photographing me. I still think it's fair of them to do so, since I take photos of strangers myself all the time here. I posed for them.

Anyway, Bombay... the city that I love, and the city that I hate. It won't be the same.

On Sunday I'm flying up north, and I will be touring some areas up there. I have some specific side adventures in mind. Not sure how safe they are or if I'll be able to do them, so I won't post about them here yet.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Wow...it's moments like that one that shape individuals,an individuals those shape a nation's future...
It's too bad that you have had to g throw it, I just hope you find the reason why you had to!