tisdag 16 december 2008

Swordsmen in the Golden Temple, Monty Python by the Pakistani border, and Taj Mahal.




I arrived to Amritsar in Punjab around 3 am... two hours late. I took a bike rickshaw to the old part of town, close to the Golden Temple... and checked in to the first hotel that was still open and had space. I slept for a few hours.

In the morning I went for a walk, and decided to visit the Golden Temple even before having breakfast. I really enjoyed the sunset and the morning mist, and thought that it would be a good time to visit the temple. ...and it truly was. It was magic.
The Golden Temple was in the middle of a big pond, surrounded by a walkway and walls. The atmosphere was serene and nice... oriental and I was in such a good mood. The temple is the Sikh's holiest place by the way. Various types of Sikhs were there worshiping - everything from simple turban bearing Sikhs to the ones with whole outfits, including large swords. Men were bathing in the pond. Religious chants could be heard from the speakers on one side, and on the other side there were male singers singing some other types of chants or religious songs.
...once again, it was magic.

I walked on the bridge in to the temple itself and walked around. In there in the middle of the floor were the three men that could be heard from the speakers on one side of the complex. Two of them were also playing some type of electrical organs, and the third was playing on some drums. To the front left from them there were two other men performing some type of ritual with clothes. On the second floor there was some guru sitting and reading from the Sikh's holy scripture with a group of worshipers following along in their own books. On the third floor there was an other guru, but he was reading silently for himself.

I ate, walked around in the area, and went back to the temple later during the day, so that I could see it during bright sunlight too. Amritsar was way cool. I loved all the exotic and exiting clothing styles, and seeing men walking around with large swords on the side. Maybe I should start that fad in Sweden?

In the afternoon I took a shared jeep to Attari, where the India-Pakistani border crossing is. People usually go there to watch the afternoon border-closing ceremony. The Lonely Planet says similarities can be seen with Monty Pythons Ministry of Silly Walks sketch. That is so true.. and I would add that it also reminded me of roosters moving around trying to intimidate each others with their moves.
Indian ad Pakistani border soldiers to this funny marching back and forth on each side of the border. They were kicking with their legs and swinging their arms high. It was quiet entertaining and funny.
the crowds on both sides get patriotic and yells patriotic slogans. It was almost like attending football game.

In the evening I took the night train to Agra. There I got to know some cool guys from Delhi, Rahul, Sumit, Atul, and "Mr. Singh" (din't catch his first name)...yes, Delhi seemed to have trustworthy people after all (a joke - sure there are even more out there).

The train was late to Agra the following morning. I haven't taken a long distance train in India that has been on time. The only sight that I really partook of was... of course THE Taj Mahal. It was a long journey just to see one sight, but it was all worth it. It was an impressive sight and I am happy that I made it there. But it really wasn't fully as breath taking since I've already traveled so much and seen so much already. But I loved the Taj anyway.

I took the train back to Delhi at night and went to the airport, where I spent the night. I slept on three chairs with my head resting on my suitcase that was on a cart. Well, it was for free and better than the floor. In the morning I took the plane back to Bombay ..for my last week in India.

It was really nice to be able to travel around for a week. It was an adventure and I don't regret it. But I feel that I am done with India now. For various reasons. ...and I do feel more and more lonely now.

Inga kommentarer: