tisdag 2 december 2008

Refreshimg Goa ...and back to Bombay ...work ..and to Leopold's


The trip to Goa was well needed. I was down in Palolem Beach in southern Goa. I was there with three friends from the hostel I live at. It was Vincent the French guy, and two Indians, Santosh and Abhishek. One of Vincent's French friends joined in too from a different place in India, "Z.Z." (pronounced the French way - "Zet-Zet"). Santosh had a friend who owned a place down there. We shared two beach houses. Pretty simple but perfectly fine. They were actually nicer than most places that I have stayed in here in India.

I took the night bus down by myself, and met up with them in Madgaon, before heading down to Palolem. My thoughts were to a good degree still back in Bombay. I enjoyed my first day in Goa. But only to a degree. I needed to refresh my head from what had happened, but I still couldn't allow myself to let it go completely. It would feel weird. But that day on the beach, doing various activities, and being with those guys did help.
At night we could enjoy a house music party held further south down the beach. I partied for a long time. Fortunately it was not one of those stereotypical free loads of drugs party (or I would have left). It was more of a normal and legal party. The way I like it.

I was supposed to go home the following day, but I missed out on taking the bus back, since it went from further north, were I originally planned to stay. I didn't mind missing it though, and staying for an other day. I really needed it. I was able to enjoy the rest of my stay there, almost to the fullest. I have never experienced a warmer day as one of those days ..but it was all good. I loved life and was tempted to stay there for an other week, but I had obligations back in Bombay.

I have to say that Goa was a cultural shock. It was like I was transformed to the Mediterean sea in southern Europe (other than the amount of palm trees). Goa was sooo different from anything that I had experienced in India so far. Other than Indian salesmen, stray dogs, and cows, there wasn't much that showed that I was still in India. Ironically, this was the only place where I have seen a cow walk in to a restaurant, and without the staff being bothered too much. I tried to chase it out, but it turned its head and gave me a dirty look. ...well, it felt like it. ..and I didn't feel like messing with her. Didn't want to risk having a mad cow go berserk in the restaurant.

Santosh was the only one of the crew to stay in Goa for an other day. He even stayed there after I left. Again, Goa was wonderful. Goa would probably be the main reason for me wanting to go back to India one day. Goa was refreshing. Goa cured a lot of the heaviness from earlier this week. I love Goa (at least that part).

The bus ride back was on a sleeper bus ...and even shakier than any train rides that I have had in India.

Then I was back in he... I mean Bombay. The first thing that approached me was once again someone trying to cheat me. A rickshaw driver wanted 150 rupees for taking me to the nearest local train station. A ride that probably would cost only 30 rupees. I chose an other driver.
At the station... six fully packed trains passed me. Every darn compartment was packed. People were literally hanging out from the doors. ..and hanging or standing in spots on the sides meant for other things. I had enough, so I took a taxi down to Colaba. I was headed straight to work. Bombay and its hellish rush hour was back to normal. ..and I was reminded what the things were that I hated about this city.

Down in Colaba things were also back to business ...the traffic, the people, the stores and the street salesmen. Even Leopold's had opened up to my surprise. But people need to support themselves, and thus having to move on.

It felt good to be back to the office though, even if the past week still was in the air. ..and me being in the dead-as-hell-tired of Bombay. I went along with Neeta to a school a little north of Colaba. It was the same school that I visited in the beginning of my time here. I have to say that the visit was truly refreshing an made me get back a lot of my good moods. I love Indian kids. Not are they only cool and entertaining, they are also some of the most beautiful kids in the world.
I spent a lot of my work day there and other related businesses around the area, including interesting home visits. I got once again reminded about how privileged I am. ..and at the same time enjoy meeting some wonderful Indian people, living in poverty but with such rich hearts.

I had a late breakfast/lunch/dinner at Leopold's. I really wanted to go back there. But it didn't feel as strange as I expected it to be. Things seemed to be almost as normal. ..but it was calmer. ..and there were still bullet holes in some of the walls and in the window ..and people photographing them. I did it too .. but not for touristy or novelty reasons. I wanted to document it ...and remember it. Media was there too... discretely.

Did I seem to have a wide range of emotions and feelings these past days ... and in even on the same day? That sure is the case ... and that's also India for you.

Inga kommentarer: